|and || but || or || nor || for || so || yet |
He likes tea and coffee.
Our team played hard but lost the game.
A good haircut and an easy smile will get you through just about anything in your life.
Have you ever had a fly land on your computer screen, and you tried to scare it off with the cursor?
- Edward is and courageous.
- She is and a loyal friend.
- Betty lived life and completely.
a loving mother
| I took a taxi , and she walked home.|
|Our team played hard, but we lost the game.|
|We can go to a restaurant tonight, or we can just eat leftovers. |
|Be here on time, or we'll leave without you. |
|I never saw him again, nor did I regret it.|
| I couldn't stay, for the room was too noisy.|
|It was raining, so I took my umbrella.|
|It is good, yet it could be improved. |
有時候兩個對等連接詞 and 和 but 同時使用在一個句子中。
Life is hard and mighty uncertain, but signs of hope abound.
We were in a hole, but we climbed the ladder and now we are out in the sunshine.
- I like chess, playing piano, and to go dancing.
- I like chess, piano, and dancing.
- We ate at the park, then we went home.
- We ate at the park, and then we went home.
We ate at the park, and then we went home.
We ate at the park. Then we went home.
We ate at the park; then we went home.
After we ate at the park, we went home.
- I never called her back, or have I regretted it.
- I never called her back, nor have I regretted it.
- It never rains it pours.
- Either you I am to go.
- She remained silent, her heart was heavy and her spirits low.
- It may rain today, take your umbrella.
- Stand over there you'll be able to see it better.
- I have neither time money for taking a cruise.
- She said she would be late, she arrived on time.
I like pork, and she likes beef.
(= I like pork and she likes beef. )
- Nancy 已經盡最大力了，但是標準實在是太高。
- Nancy tried her hardest but, the bar was too high.
- Nancy tried her hardest, but the bar was too high.
I studied for the college entrance examination. But I didn't study enough.
I studied for the college entrance examination, but I didn't study enough.
Jenny thought that the big earthquake was coming. And she was right.
She had not planned to attend the wedding. Yet she did.
請記住，像 Because, While, Until,...等這一類的從屬連接詞就不能作為單句的起頭。
We can't go to Laura's party. Because we're going away that weekend.(錯誤的句子）
We can't go to Laura's party because we're going away that weekend. (正確的句子）
除了上述七個對等連接詞用來連接兩個獨立子句外，另有一些副詞連接詞(Adverbial Conjunctions) 也具有類似的功能。